Žena 1919 - 2009  (90 let)

Osobní informace    |    Média    |    Poznámky    |    Vše    |    PDF

  • Jméno Jiřina ASCHEROVÁ-TONDER 
    Narození 1919 
    Pohlaví Žena 
    Úmrtí 2009  Henley, Oxfordshire, UK Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě 
    ID číslo osoby I577  family
    Poslední změna 20 Duben 2019 

    Otec Gustav ASCHER,   nar. 25 Červen 1870,   zemř. 20 Duben 1933, Praha, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk 62 let) 
    Matka Anna ASCHER 
    ID číslo rodiny F1358  Schéma rodiny

    Rodina Ivo TONDER, - textil tisk,   nar. 16 Duben 1913, Praha, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě,   zemř. 4 Květen 1995, Henley, UK Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk 82 let) 
     1. Ivan Martin TONDER, - textile printing,   nar. cca 1946, Czechoslovakia Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě,   zemř. 2001, UK Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk ~ 55 let)
     2. Petra A. Z. S. TONDER-RONAN,   nar. 5 Duben 1948, Praha, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk 74 let)
    Poslední změna 2 Únor 2003 
    ID číslo rodiny F201  Schéma rodiny

  • Fotografie
    Ascherová-TONDER Jiřina (cir. 1960)
    Ascherová-TONDER Jiřina (cir. 1960)
    Ascherová-TONDER Jiřina  (1965)
    Ascherová-TONDER Jiřina (1965)
    TONDER Jiřina + Ivan  (cir. 1967)
    TONDER Jiřina + Ivan (cir. 1967)

  • Poznámky 
    • OBITUARY (2009 June 22)
      Love conquered all for war bride

      JIRINA TONDER has died, aged 90.
      When Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia in March 1938, Jirina (née Ascher) was 18 and skiing for the Czechs in Switzerland.
      Since her father was Jewish, she contacted her brother, who was visiting Oslo, and he advised that she abandon her homeland and go straight to England.
      In London, she worked on the Czech newspaper. Then, in 1943, someone handed her the obituary of a gallant Czech Air Force officer, who had flown for the RAF in the Battle of Britain and whom she had met a couple of times. They had fallen in love. She left the newspaper and went to work for the Women's Royal Air Force before finding out that the officer wasn't dead at all but had apparently bailed out over the Channel.
      His name was Ivo and after being picked up by the Germans, he was eventually taken to the Stalag Luft III prisoner of war camp where he joined the tunnellers on the famous Great Escape of 1944.
      Most of those who got out were caught, taken to the woods and shot dead.
      His escape partner was one of those who died but Ivo was lucky \emdash since Germany had annexed Czechoslovakia, it refused to treat him as a regular British officer, so he was tried for treason, sentenced to death and sent to Colditz. The sentence was never carried out and on his birthday, April 16 1945, Colditz was liberated.
      Arriving in England weighing only eight stone, Ivo immediately sought out Jirina. He assumed she had married a childhood friend but she hadn't.
      They found one another again and were married on May 4, less than three weeks after Ivo's release and just in time to celebrate VE Day four days later. After the war, the couple returned to Czechoslovakia but the country had changed and the seeds of Soviet hegemony were hard to ignore.
      In the Czech Air Force anyone who served on the Eastern front had preferment, so Ivo suggested they return to England but with a baby on the way, Jirina preferred to stay.
      When things got worse, and the Communists started taking control, a second baby was imminent, so they stayed through the Communist putsch of February 1948 rather than give birth in the camps in Germany.
      As soon as the baby arrived in April, they made their escape but by now the border was very hard to cross and they were caught.
      Ivo was sent to prison and Jirina attempted another escape but was caught again. The children were taken away and she was told she would never see them again.
      Ivo sent her a message telling her to escape and that he would get out too. She managed it but remained in hiding for nine months.
      He did reach London ansd, hearing no news of his wife, waited. Jirina, meanwhile, made it to Austria, accompanied by a somewhat unstable man carrying a sub-machine gun in a backpack.
      They boarded a bus and when it stopped to pick up half the Red Army, the whole experience became so terrifying that she wouldn't talk of it for years.
      By 1950, the couple were both in London and they tried to get the children out. A year later, a phone call came through from the RAF telling them their children were safe and coming home.
      Finally, Jirina could settle down to a happy marriage, which lasted 50 years.
      She moved to Hurley in 1972 before eventually settling in Baronsmead, Henley, 20 years ago, surrounded by her grandchildren.
      Her daughter lived with her for the last nine years. Her son died of cancer in 2001 and her husband in 1995. She is survived by her daughter, five grandchildren and one great grandson.
      The funeral will take place on Tuesday at the Reading Crematorium.