Ivo TONDER, - textil tisk

Ivo TONDER, - textil tisk

Muž 1913 - 1995  (82 let)

Osobní informace    |    Média    |    Poznámky    |    Mapa událostí    |    Vše    |    PDF

  • Jméno Ivo TONDER, - textil tisk 
    Přípona - textil tisk 
    Narození 16 Duben 1913  Praha, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě 
    Pohlaví Muž 
    Military service - World War 2 1940  Duxford, UK Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě 
    Joined RAF - Fighter pilot, RAF squadron 312 
    • "These men went to Britain to fight because they couldn't stomach allowing their country to go to the dogs," said movie director Sverak. He sees his movie creation, "The Dark-Blue World ", as a chance to "celebrate the country's last heroes".
      These include people like «u»«b»Ivo Tonder«/u»«/b». When Germany annexed Czechoslovakia in 1939, Tonder made his way via Hungary and Turkey to Beirut, where he joined the French Foreign Legion. Later, via France and Spain, he arrived in England, joining the second Czech squadron, number 312, based at Duxford, which was equipped with Hurricanes and later Spitfires. He took part in the last days of the Battle of Britain before being shot down in a dogfight over the channel. His capture by a German float plane led to his imprisonment in Silesia. There he became the main tunneller in what was later immortalised as the " Great Escape ". He was soon caught and sent to Colditz, which was liberated before the death sentence against him could be carried out.
    Úmrtí 4 Květen 1995  Henley, UK Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě 
    ID číslo osoby I576  family
    Poslední změna 30 Duben 2019 

    Otec JUDr. Ferdinand TONDER,   nar. 26 Říjen 1882, Praha, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě,   zemř. 2 Říjen 1940, Praha, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk 57 let) 
    Matka Miloslava ZÁTKOVÁ-TONDEROVÁ, - painter,   nar. 1 Únor 1884, Březí, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě,   zemř. 2 Duben 1969, Praha, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk 85 let) 
    ID číslo rodiny F200  Schéma rodiny

    Rodina Jiřina ASCHEROVÁ-TONDER,   nar. 1919,   zemř. 2009, Henley, Oxfordshire, UK Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk 90 let) 
     1. Ivan Martin TONDER, - textile printing,   nar. cca 1946, Czechoslovakia Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě,   zemř. 2001, UK Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk ~ 55 let)
     2. Petra A. Z. S. TONDER-RONAN,   nar. 5 Duben 1948, Praha, Czech Rep. Najít všechny osoby s událostmi v tomto místě  (Věk 76 let)
    Poslední změna 2 Únor 2003 
    ID číslo rodiny F201  Schéma rodiny

  • Mapa událostí
    Odkaz na Google MapsNarození - 16 Duben 1913 - Praha, Czech Rep. Odkaz na Google Earth
     = Odkaz na Google Maps 
     = Odkaz na Google Earth 

  • Fotografie
    TONDER Ivo (1941-RAF)
    TONDER Ivo (1941-RAF)
    TONDER Ivo in Lebanon  (1940)
    TONDER Ivo in Lebanon (1940)
    TONDER Ivo  (1913)
    TONDER Ivo (1913)
    TONDER Ivo - RAF fighter pilot (1941)
    TONDER Ivo - RAF fighter pilot (1941)
    Later promoted to Major-General (retired)
    TONDER Ivan + Ivo  (1967)
    TONDER Ivan + Ivo (1967)
    Zátková-TONDEROVÁ Slávka + Ivo  (cir.1914)
    Zátková-TONDEROVÁ Slávka + Ivo (cir.1914)


  • Poznámky 
    • «b»OBITUARY:«tab»Ivo Tonder (1919-1995)
      «/b»by Karel Kyncl

      The life-story of Ivo Tonder is typical of that of thousands of citizens in former Czechoslovakia who were in their twenties just before the outbreak of the Second World War; those who fled their country - betrayed in Munich in 1938 and occupied by the Nazis in 1939 - in order to fight abroad for its freedom. An RAF veteran and a Major- General (retired) of the Czech Air Force, he was born in Prague and died in London. He had been condemned to death by the Germans 50 years ago; he had been imprisoned after the war by his fellow countrymen, but had escaped. He lived the last 45 years of his life in Britain, and was 82 when he died.
      Tonder volunteered first for the Czechoslovak army corps created in the West and in 1940 became a member of RAF 312 (Fighter) Squadron. On 3 June 1942, he was shot down during an operational flight over occupied France, captured and escorted to an "escape-proof" prisoner-of-war camp, Stalag Luft 3, in the heart of a pine forest at Sagan, in German Silesia.
      Two months and one week before the invasion of Normandy, Tonder was among the 76 British prisoners of war who succeeded in a spectacular escape from the camp during one night, via a system of underground tunnels dug secretly over the previous year. This "Operation Escape 200" was in itself a significant military operation: it diverted from the Front an entire German SS Panzer Division, up to 700,000 troops and indirectly some 4 million Germans in the subsequent manhunt.
      Tonder made his way to occupied Czechoslovakia but there he was recaptured by the Gestapo and, on 8 January 1945, sentenced to death. The sentence was not carried out only because of the chaos preceding the imminent Nazi defeat and because the prison he was held in was liberated.
      Flt Lt Tonder rejoined the RAF, and in October 1945 he was able to return home and, at long last, to start to piece together his shattered life. It seemed to be the perfect happy end.
      But it was not to be. In the eyes of the new Communist rulers in post- war Czechoslovakia, Ivo Tonder had fought the Nazis from the wrong geographic direction, i.e. from the capitalist West. This "mistake" was enough to degrade all the veteran members of the Western part of the Czechoslovak armed forces from the rank of freedom fighters to the rank of potential imperialist spies. They were thrown out of the army, unable to find decent jobs, interrogated and persecuted by the secret police, and a number of them imprisoned.
      On 31 May 1948, Tonder attempted to leave the country again, but was arrested on the border and sentenced to eight years' imprisonment. In December 1949, however, he was able to stage a one-man version of the "Operation Escape 200" from Stalag Luft 3. He escaped from a Communist prison and in 1950 arrived in Britain. Odděleně, samostatně a později také jeho manželka Jiřina - bez dětí.
      Jejich neuvěřitelným útrapám nebylo konce při několikaletém čekání na vydání jejich malých dětí, které byly drženy komunisty v Československu. Toto vydání trvalo několit let.
      It took another 39 years and the collapse of the Communist regime in Czechoslovakia before Ivo, the "criminal", was officially rehabilitated and proclaimed a decent Czech citizen. It took the communist regime collaps (1989).
      A long-time president of the Free Czechoslovakia Air Force Association based in London, Ivo Tonder was promoted to the rank of Air Force colonel in 1991 and - only three weeks ago - Major-General (retired).
      He was due to receive his General's decree from the President of the Czech Republic, Vaclav Havel, yesterday, during a solemn ceremony at Prague Castle.
      But in April Tonder became seriously ill and was hospitalised; it was out of the question for him to travel. It seemed improbable at first that the Czech authorities could be persuaded to change the rules and send the decree signed by the President to London "prematurely". However, the Military Attach at the Czech embassy in London fought a brave battle with Prague red tape and won: Ivo Tonder was presented with the document in his hospital room by the Czech ambassador on Saturday 29 April.
      Five days later he was dead.

      «u»«b»LAST FLIGHT«/u»«/b» - Ivo Tonder
      «i»F/Lt Ivo Tonder recalls the day he was shot down and became a prisoner of war :«/i»

      "The 3rd of June 1942 was a beautiful sunny day. The Czech wing was flying from Warmwell to give top cover to several bombers on their way to bomb something in Cherbourg.
      310 Sqn, led by W/Cmdr Vašátko, was leading the formation with 312 Sqn port and 313 Sqn starboard.
      I was leading white section of 312 sq on the port of the leading section and F/Lt Dvořák the green section on starboard. The squadron was led by S/Ldr Cermák.
      When the bombers crossed the French coast, the wing started the turn for the homerun. We were in a very loose formation as top cover always was. Therefore the squadrons on the wings had to change from port to starboard and vice versa. The same had to be done in each squadron, each section and each pair. You can imagine, that there was a lot of action in the air as 36 aircraft were regrouping. All pilots watching out to avoid collisions.
      It was a perfect moment for the Fw-190's to attack there was no warning on R/T and they came from the sun which at that moment was at 50K. We were taken completely by surprise.
      The first 190 I spotted passed me on the starboard coming down from the sun at considerable speed. I just had time to scream my warning "Break away port", turn on my back and went down. As I did that I saw another 190 which overtook me and started to climb. I followed and was on his tail, I fired a short burst without results. Then I got him perfectly in my sights but was losing speed. Never-the-less I gave him a very long burst. Unfortunately the recoil of my canons slowed me down so much that my Spit went into a spin.
      I made a few turns and straightened out into the company of four 190s. They were completely unprepared for my recovery, which ended about 60 yards behind the tail of the leader of the second pair. My first burst sent him down in smoke. His No.2 followed him down. The remaining two started a dog fight which lasted about four to five minutes. By then I was out of ammunition but they must also have exhausted theirs as they turned for home. I was left alone trying to control my nerves, circling and looking for friend or foe. There was nothing around ! I could still see the coast of France and I turned for home, climbing slightly to recover some height. I was checking my plane for damage but could see none.
      I continued on my way home wondering where everybody was. Suddenly, I heard two loud bangs, it sounded very much like my own canons. Thinking that I must have overlooked somebody, I turned to see behind my tail, but there was nothing - when I turned back, my cockpit was full of fire. I always dreaded fire; In a split second I undid my harness, opened the cockpit and the door and was out before I started to think.
      Going down head first I could see my aircraft going straight, no smoke, no fire, the biggest shock in my life. I just could not believe it. Also, there was nobody around as far as I could see. This stayed engraved in my memory day and night for many months. I was trying to figure out what happened. Eventually I came to the conclusion that what happened must have been the explosion of the two wireless sets, which could be destroyed by pressing a button in case of a landing in enemy territory.
      Unfortunately, my theory was shattered only last year by my best friend, the chief engineering officer of our squadron, he said that it was not possible and what must have happened was that I was hit by a high explosive shell directly in the cockpit. He did not explain why I was not touched or at least my uniform pierced by the hundreds of splinters that must have been flying around. So here I am back with the mystery.
      But I had better go on with my journey down on my parachute.
      I landed in the drink, blew up my dinghy without trouble, got out my compass and the paddles and started on my journey home. I was not very worried as I thought I must be close to half way between the Isle of Wight and Normandy and sooner or later some British aircraft will spot me and send rescue.
      It happened almost as I expected, with only a minor variation - it was not a British but a German aircraft. First two FWs 190 and after some time a seaplane. It landed 60 to 80 yards from me, a door opened and down the steps out onto the float came an airman armed with a boathook.
      I was not very keen to becoming a PoW and foolishly decided to capture his plane. I got my gun out of my boots; the canvas paddles strapped to my arms hid them completely and I was slowly approaching my unsuspecting victim. As he started to reach for the dinghy with his boathook another man stepped out of the door, aiming at me with a Tommy gun. I was all the time a little worried whether my gun would fire properly, having been submerged in water, so I decided not to take the risk.
      I opened my hands and my guns went down to the bottom of the channel. So this is how I finished as «u»PoW <https://fcafa.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/czechoslovak-prisoners-of-war/>«/u».
      Dvořák was shot down sometime during the first attack. His tail was shot off and he had a hard time to get out of the uncontrollable aircraft. He eventually succeeded but on opening his parachute he got entangled in the cord and his arm was broken. He was transferred to a hospital and arrived at Sagan much later.
      He did not get out after the communists took over in Czechoslovakia, was very badly treated and died in the seventies."
      «i»Both Tonder and Dvořák participated in 'The Great Escape' from Sagan on the night of 23/24 March 1944 where 76 Allied RAF officers escaped from Stalag Luft III. Of the escapers, Three managed to successfully reach neutral countries; two to Sweden and one to Spain. Of the 73 who were recaptured 50 were murdered by the Gestapo; Tonder and Dvořák were one of the lucky 23. After their recapture, both airmen were sent to Pankrac prison, Prague where they were tried, along with other Czechoslovak RAF PoW's for being traitors to the Third Reich and received death sentences. The intervention of the International Red Cross resulted in the Germans agreeing that the sentences being suspended until after the war.«/i»